Best Portable Ice Maker – Reviews For 2017 By An Expert
The portable ice maker machines, it’s really a dream come true for the folks who love ice and would sit down through the day- just to chew it!
If you fall in the same class with these people, you’re probably hunting for the best portable ice maker right now.
And you know what?
I’m about to give you a list of the 20 top-rated, best portable ice maker reviews. From this list, you’ll easily pick the most suitable model based on your budget, ice production needs, and so on.
Say NO to spending hefty sums of money on buying ice bags from your local store, and YES to buying your own portable ice maker (and start ice production right from your kitchen).
Avalon Bay AB-ICE26S
Auto Overflow Protection
- Produces 26 lbs of ice daily
- Get first batch of ice within 6 minutes
- 2 ice cube sizes
- Automatic overflow protection
Over-sized Ice Bucket
- Produces 26 lbs of ice daily
- Get first batch of ice within 6 minutes
- 3 ice cube sizes
- It can hold 2.2 lbs of ice at a time
RCA Igloo Ice Maker
Easy to Use
- Produces 26 lbs of ice daily
- Get first batch of ice within 6 minutes
- 2 ice cube sizes
- It can hold 1.2 lbs of ice at a time
First: Let me take school you on how to pick the right portable ice maker for your needs…
What To Look For When Buying The Exceptionally Best Portable Ice Maker?
How Big is the Ice Maker?
Portable ice makers are, as a rule, smaller than regular ones. Look for an ice maker that has a big enough capacity to produce and store the amount of ice you need. So, first consider how much ice you need in storage. Storage capacity is easy to verify – just check the manufacturer-provided product specifications.
Secondly, size matters because of space. For instance, if you are going on a road trip, you have to ask yourself, “Where am I going to store the best countertop ice maker?” If you don’t have enough storage space for a bigger appliance, a smaller one is more attractive.
Thirdly, size matters because of weight. Say, you are going camping. You don’t want a bulky appliance. You want something light and easy to carry from place to place without breaking your backbone!
How Much Ice Does it Produce?
Before you roll out those dollar bills, first ask yourself, “How much ice do I need?” If you are hosting a wild party out in the woods, for instance, I am guessing “a lot” is the right answer. On the other hand, if you are going on a small trip with a few friends or family, you probably don’t need as much ice.
Some portable ice makers can produce as much as 35 pounds of ice a day. Smaller ones can make, say, 28 pounds. Again, the information you need is provided in the product specs.
How Fast Does it Produce Ice?
This point makes me think of the party example. Doubtless, ice runs out faster at parties. So if you are planning a party, I suggest you purchase a faster ice maker. The average speed for portable ice makers is, say, ten, twenty minutes, depending on the model.
That’s much faster than traditional ice trays which can take hours. If speed is important to you, be sure to check the product specs before you make the purchase.
How Durable Is the Ice Maker?
You’ll agree with me that portable ice makers live more uncertain lives than ordinary home ice makers. Being moved from place to place is sure to place a significant strain on kitchen appliances. You don’t want one that falls apart at the slightest hardship.
Portable ice makers are not long-lasting. You won’t be using yours ten years from now. But if you spend a little more, or if you buy one that has a warranty, or if you do some research online to see which ice maker has the best reviews, you just might use yours for the next few years.
How Well Does It Utilize Water?
You understand the basic principle of ice makers, right? You fill the machine with water. It freezes the water. You get ice. In most cases, if you don’t use all the ice, it will eventually melt, and the water will be discarded.
But that’s a big waste, right?
Good ice makers use water more intelligently. They re-use it. Turn it back into ice. Not only is this a neat feature, but it's also crucial for outdoorsy excursions. You don’t want to waste water when you are camping.
How Bid Are The Ice Cubes?
Not everyone cares about ice cube size. But if you do, consider finding out before you choose your new portable ice maker. Many ice makers produce ice in just one size. Some, however, give you three options: small, medium, and large.
An ice maker which produces ice in multiple sizes is not only fun for you and your companions, but also convenient.
How Does It Look?
If you are going to spend money on an appliance, might as well ensure it has attention-grabbing looks, right? Especially if you are buying it to entertain with. Every time a friend walks to the ice maker, you want them to admire it and congratulate you on your good taste. Most ice makers are black or white.
But if you are the adventurous type, you could choose one that adds a splash of color.
Does It Make Good Quality Ice?
If you are not a purist, you probably won’t mind if your ice is a bit soft and kind of cloudy. But if ice quality is non-negotiable for you, ensure you examine the ice maker’s output before you take out your wallet.
The good portable ice makers can make ice which is as clear, solid, and well-defined (in a cube shape rather than bullet shape) as any produced in a restaurant.
How Much Energy Does The Ice Maker Consume?
Check the appliance’s energy star ratings before you make your decision. Especially if you need an ice maker for outdoorsy activities. If you are using it in the car while on the road, you will want one that uses power minimally.
It’s also a fine way to conserve energy if you are environmentally conscious.
What Innovative Feature Does It Have?
The perfect portable ice makers often have additional features to make life easier for you. For instance, the intelligent water-use design we discussed in an earlier point. Or the automatic timer function that enables you to leave the ice maker unattended, with the confidence that it will shut off at the precise time you want it to.
How Much Does It Cost?
The best things often cost more. Many of the features discussed in this guide are absent in cheap under counter ice makers. Also, costlier appliances are often more durable than the cheaper ones.
So if you are looking for the great portable ice maker, prepare to open your wallet a little wider. A portable ice maker could cost anything from $100 to $250, depending on the model, manufacturer, or vendor.
Our 20 Best Portable Ice Maker Reviews:
1. Igloo ICE103 Counter Top Ice Maker:
If you’re looking for the simplest way to make ice, the Igloo ICE103 Counter Top Ice Maker is just what you need. Manufactured by igloo- a ran with a reputation for producing high-end cooling products- this ice maker will help you create the extra ice you need for your picnic, party, or any family outing.
One of the main things that caught my attention in this ice maker is its ease of use. What do I mean? You just need to fill its reservoir with water, push a few buttons and you got your ice! And you’ll enjoy the first batch of ice produce within 6 minutes only- smile.
That you can create different ice cube sizes- small medium and large- by a mere press of the well-labeled buttons make this machine a great option for you.
With the capabilities of producing up to 26lbs of ice in a day (or 24 hours, if you like) ensure you’ve just sufficient ice every day in your life. Adding to that is its over-sized ice basket that accommodates up to 2.2lbs of ice- ensuring you’ve constant ice supply; always.
Made from stainless steel brand, this is one of the most durable portable ice makers I’ve ever seen. And with its compact size (measures 14L x 12W x 15H Inches) plus lightweight design, carrying it around or storing it when not in use becomes super-easy.
The machine is so easy to use that you’ll start using it the right way, right from the first day. The stainless steel finish makes it look as bright, clean as new at all times.
- Portable, stainless steel ice maker
- Over-sized ice basket carries 2.2lbs of ice
- Choose from 3 cube sizes- small, medium, and large
- Produce the first batch of ice within 6 minutes only
- High ice production (26lbs per day)
2. Avalon Bay AB-ICE26S Portable Ice Maker Review:
Hey, ice lover!
It’s time to replace that freezer ice maker at your home with a more convenient, faster portable ice maker. And that device is the Avalon Bay AB-ICE26S Portable Ice Maker.
This is one of the best home ice maker and ideal for camping vacations, parties, and boat trips, this will never let your ice reservoirs run dry. If cold drinks are your thing, this machine will ensure you’ve ice at hand whenever you need it.
The main reason why Avalon Bay device features among the most popular portable ice maker reviews is its high capabilities of producing larger ice amounts in incredibly shorter periods of time. In simpler words, it produces a whopping 26 pounds of ice in just 24 hours! And it doesn’t stop there; it produces fresh ice in as just 6 minutes so that you never run out of ice.
Moreover, it allows you to create two different ice cubes sizes: small and large. The popularity of this device has probably hit the climax due to its bottom drain feature that makes it an incredibly easy to clean ice maker- unlike its rivals out there.
Featuring clearly-labeled push button controls, Automatic Overflow Protection, and Lighted indicators (tells you when to add water), I’ve never come across a so easy to use product!
At only 20 pounds, you’ll agree with me that this is one of the most portable ice makers on the market today. It also comes with an ice scoop and basket for added convenience. It operates on a standard electric outlet.
It recycles any unused ice back into fresh water. Its contemporary design and silver texture matches any setting- whether it’s your kitchen, by the pool, or sitting at the bar.
- Produces up to 26lbs of ice per day
- Produces ice in just 6 minutes
- Gives you two ice sizes to pick from
- Full ice and Add Water indicators
- Automatic Overflow Protection
3. RCA-Igloo 26 Lbs Counter Top Ice Maker:
Another great portable ice maker that sits on loads of positive feedbacks on youtube from its satisfied users (like us). The RCA-Igloo 26 Lbs Counter Top Ice Maker is ideal for any gathering, party or outdoor activity. It will just produce more than enough ice to meet your needs. Being an extremely portable model, you’ll never lack a cold, refreshing drink whenever, wherever you go.
Like all the other top choices in this list, this particular machine met my expectation of producing plenty of ice in a day- that is 26 lbs a day. Wouldn’t this be just sufficient ice for your future family or friends’ outdoor party?
And like the other top-selling models, this countertop device can produce ice cubes in two different sizes namely small and large. Talking about the speed of production, again this machine competes with the giants in the fields given that it gives you the first batch of ice in only 6 minutes. The device comes with a 1.5lbs ice bucket.
Though this might sound smaller to some folk, it’s enough for making drinks for your friends and the entire family, and when the time for the second round comes, it will have produced fresh ice again. Electronic controls with LED indicator enable you to start creating fresh ice with just a simple touch of the button.
The compactness and lower power consumption properties of this machine make it one of the most preferred ice makers for many homes.
When it comes to performance, it will just give you what you need- faster production for lots of fresh ice to make plenty of drinks. And oh! The bright red finish will give you kitchen or any other setting a new sense of style.
- Compact ice maker, red
- Enjoy the first ice batch in 6 minutes only
- Ability to produce 26lbs of ice per day
- Provides two sizes of ice cubes, small and large
- Holds up to 1.5lbs ice each time
- 2.3Quart reservoir with electronic LED controls
4. NewAir AI-100S 28-Pound Portable Ice Maker:
Sometimes you wish you could get a portable ice maker that will just fit anywhere near an electric outlet. If that’s you, then I suggest you go for the NewAir AI-100S 28-Pound Portable Ice Maker. It comes with a sleek, portable design that lets you use it anywhere- in your home, camping, party, in RV- just anywhere!
Adding to that, this machine comes from the highly reputable NewAir Company, where it’s thoroughly tested and has the appropriate safety certification before releasing into the market.
This machine does not just fit anywhere. It has such a great performance that it will give you a whopping 28lbs of fresh ice every new day. This is a way too high production capacity than what you’ll get from other ice makers on the field and you’ll have more than enough for any party. What’s more, it lets you customize the ice cubes you produce by giving you three ice cubes to pick from.
Even more interesting, it will give you nine pieces in as little as 15 minutes. You’ll not need to do any installation to start using this machine. Just place it anywhere, say on your countertop, pour water into its tank, and press the start button.
Light-up indicators indicated into the device will tell you when the ice bucket is full and when you need to add more water. That’s how easy using the machine feels. Then there’s the drain plug that makes it easy to tap this device when you need to move, store, or clean it.
You can put your full trust in this machine to supply your pool parties, BBQs, and any other outdoor gatherings with plenty and plenty of ice. Its compactness lets you move and use it just anywhere.
The removable ice scoop and basket enables you to easily transport the produce ice cubes to your cooler, freezer- anywhere. It runs on the standard 120V, so you need not worry about plugging it into non-standard receptacles.
- Convenient, compact design allows you to use in small kitchens and other smaller spaces
- Produces up to 28lbs ice a day
- Easy-to-use LED control panel lets you quickly set your preferred ice cube size
- Requires no installations
- Create nine pieces of ice cubes within 15 minutes
- Freestanding, portable design
5. Ivation IVA-ICEM15SIL Portable Ice Maker:
With the Ivation IVA-ICEM15SIL Portable Ice Maker, you’ll just need 6 minutes to produce ice. That’s unlike the almost half an hour you’ll take to drive to your nearest gas station or store to buy a bag of ice. Besides, you’ll be making fresh ice cubes right from the comfort of your home. This ice maker will prove to be your companion if you can’t afford to serve drinks that are below the perfect line in graduation parties, bridal showers, birthdays, charity events, and so much more.
I like how the manufacturer of this machine makes it so easy to use for anyone. With its straightforward design, you just need to pour some water into the ice bucket, press a button or two, ad leave the machine to do its thing!
And after a short period of 6 minutes only, it provides you with awesomely solid chillers that don’t agglomerate easily. And to keep up with all the glass clinking, it lets you select between small and large cube sizes.
There’s no perfect way to make everyone at your party feel satisfied –from the juice junkie to the whiskey sipper. At maximum output, this machine will grace your whole day or 24-hour occasion with a high capacity of 26.5 lbs ice!
The remarkable water recycling system in this device melts all the remaining ice to fresh water for use in the next ice making session. With Light-Up alerts, it’s easy to tell when the water level in the 80-ounce reservoir runs low or when the ice bucket gets full.
A flashing snowflake icon notifies you when you when the ice making is on standby. When the bucket gets full, this machine shuts off automatically, so you need not have any safety concerns.
- Modern Compressor Refrigeration Technology ensures efficient ice cube making
- Sleek performance-oriented design
- The removable tray provides easy ice transfer
- Two selectable cube sizes-a large see-through window lets you monitor the process and ice level easily
- Easy-push buttons with intuitive icons for easy operation
- Low water level and maximum ice capacity LED indicators gives you a peace of mind
6. Ivation Portable Ice Maker:
Another product from Ivation takes up our 6th post of the best portable ice maker reviews. Unlike your freezer which produces less ice for longer, this machine will offer you large amounts of ice in incredibly shorter periods. Not only does it comes with an impressive performance, but it also features a red hot finish that makes your home look stylish and expensive.
Touching on the performance of this machine, it presents with a maximum ice production of 26 pounds in just 24 hours. So, if you’re holding a party that will last a day, you’ll be sure to get more than enough ice to serve your guests with refreshing, cold drinks.
Given than this model allows you to tow different ice cube sizes (i.e., small and large), it becomes much easier for you to customize the cubes to meet your friends' needs. I’m in love with the water recycling system feature standard across all the Ivation ice makers. This allows all the remaining ice to melt back into the water reservoir for use in the next ice making process.
You’ll know when to refill the high capacity, 80lbs with water, thanks to the red indicator integrated into the unit. Likewise, you’ll know when your ice bucket is full, thanks to an additional indicator intended for this job.
That the unit shuts off automatically when the ice basket gets full, you’ll have some peace of mind and safety when running this unit.
- Features modern refrigeration technology for efficient ice making
- Removable tray means easy ice transfer
- Sleek performance-oriented design
- Two cube size options
- Easy-push buttons with intuitive icons allows for easy digital control
- Low water level and maximum ice capacity level indicatorsLarge transparent windows ensures easy process monitoring as well as level checking
7. DELLA 048-GM-48183 Portable Ice Maker:
Compact and highly portable, the DELLA 048-GM-48183 Portable Ice Maker meets the needs of anyone looking for the best ice maker that fits and works anywhere there’s a standard electric outlet. Feel free to use this model in your small kitchen, RV, boat, restaurant, and bar. Designed with a gorgeous finish, this model more than meets your ice making needs.
Right after buying this machine, you don’t need to stress yourself on how to install it. You just place it in your countertop, plug it into a standard electric outlet, and you’re ready to go. To start producing that ice from the comfort of your kitchen, just pour water into the reservoir, and within 6 minutes, you’ll get your first fresh ice cubes.
Like all the other top models, this machine produces up to 26 lbs of weight every day- so you’ll never run out of ice cubes in your life! I also discovered that this is one of the easiest machines to use… you’ll only need to turn on/off the unit and select your preferred ice sizing on the easy to use control panel.
The fact that this device allows you to monitor the ice making process as well as check the ice level through a transparent window makes using it real, real fun. When the water level runs low, an indicator will alert you to add more.
When the ice basket is full, another indicator will alert you to empty to create room for more ice production.
- Produces up to 26 lbs ice in a day
- Produces fresh ice within 6 minutes
- Two selectable ice cube sizes
- Removable tray for easy transfer of ice-sleek, performance-oriented construction
- Easy-push button with intuitive icons makes the machine easy to operate
- Compact design- 14-1/2"L x 9-3/4"W x 12-3/4"H
8. Della Portable Ice Maker:
Whenever you think of making faster, easily, and in large amounts, think Della Portable Ice Maker. The incredibly compact and portable machine allows you to make ice at any place you wish. Whether it’s in your kitchen with limited space, RV, boat, restaurant, bar, etc., you’ll produce ice as long as an electric outlet is available.
The beautiful finish makes it an attractive ice maker that styles up your home in addition to replenishing your ice bags!
Supplying you with ice every second, minute, hour and day is the primary goal of this machine. You don’t need to do any installations to start using.
Just plug it in a 120V outlet, add water and wait for perfectly solid ice cubes to come out within 6 minutes only! When you run it throughout the ready, be ready to bag as much as 26 pounds of fresh ice. Isn’t that just more than enough for your daily ice needs?
Further, the unit comes with an entirely insulated storage bin that can handle up to 1.5 lbs of ice at a go. As it’s the case with the other machines portable ice makers I’ve suggest to you in this post, this ice maker is as easy to use as pie.
Just add water, plug it in, and select your ideal ice cube size to start producing real ice!
Checking ice level and the production process has been made possible in this unit, thanks to a see-through window it comes with. The easy to use control panel gives you an easy time running your portable ice maker. The Light indicators help you know when to add water to the unit and when the ice bucket is full.
- Sleek, performance-oriented construction
- Two ice cube sizes to pick from
- Removable tray translates to easy ice transfer
- 26 pounds daily ice production capacity
- Easy-push touch buttons
- Efficient ice production, thanks to the Modern Compressor Refrigeration Technology
- Overall Dimension 14-1/2"L x 9-3/4"W x 12-3/4"H
9. Knox Stainless Steel Ice Maker:
The Knox brand enjoys a place in the arena of the top-selling portable ice makers, thanks to their top-quality Stainless Steel Ice Maker. Ideally, the manufacturer intended this machine for use in large parties.
However, that does not mean that you can’t use it to make yourself a cold drink. With such an easier and faster ice maker unit, never run to the stores again to spend your money on bagged ice.
Firstly, I noted that Knox constructed this unit using stainless steel and without a single doubt, this will help it endure any hardships it might encounter, including corrosion and rust, assuring you many years of excellent services.
Moving on to performance, this is one of the most popular ice maker machines, probably, because it produces pounds of ice in minutes- be sure to get up to 27 lbs of ice within 24 hours from this machine! Using the unit is stress-free; just plug it into an AC outlet to get the part started. And if you wish, you can keep it running all night long.
Something else that drew my attention to this particular ice maker is the way it produces beautiful, bullet-shaped ice cubes in three different sizes- small, medium, and large. Which cube size do you prefer?
The unit’s tray not only bears a larger capacity, 2.5lbs but it also removable allowing you to transfer the ice you made easily. When the rice melts in the tray, the unit collects it in the reservoir and refreezes it to make fresh ice. That's why this is in our best portable ice maker article.
In other terms, no water goes to wast. The easy to use control panel plus backlit display gives you fun time operating this unit.
- Produces pounds of ice in minutes
- Approximately 27 lbs/cycle
- Touch control panel with backlit display
- Pick from three ice cube sizes
- Melted ice remade automatically
- Low water indicator, ice full indicator, clock and timer functions
- Interior ice tray holds up to 2.5lb of ice
- Ice scoop included
10. DELLA 048-GM-48221 Portable Ice Maker:
The Della Portable Ice Maker makes another great option for picnics, tailgate parties, BBQs, parties, camping, and outdoor get-togethers. At 11-1/4"W x 14"L x 13-1/2", the ice maker is incredibly compact, making it easy to transport to any place you wish as well as store when not in use.
What’s more, the compact size enables it to fit just anywhere- from the small kitchen, RV, boat, to restaurants, etc.
This ice maker requires no installation process; just plug it in, add water, and start enjoying the ice. When set to maximum, the machine can produce around 26 pounds of ice a day- more than sufficient to keep your guests and friends entertained throughout the party. I also like how fast the device produces ice.
Within 6 minutes of starting it, it starts producing bullet ice cubes for your party. The integrated storage bin comes fully insulated plus it bears a larger storage capacity of up to 2lbs.
Setting your ice cube size becomes real easy in this machine, thanks to the easy to use control panel. The see-through windows allow you to monitor the process as well as check the ice level.
And whenever the water reservoir runs low, or the ice bucket gets full, you’ll be alerted by lighted indicators. Additional features I liked in this machine include the Automatic Overflow Protection, ice scoop, and a manual.
- Compact sized ice maker
- Sleek, performance-oriented design
- Removable tray facilitates easy ice transfer
- Easy push touch button for easy digital control
- Yields up to 26 pounds of ice a day
- See-through window for easy ice level checking and process monitoring
- Lower water level and maximum ice capacity indicators give you peace of mind
11. Ivation Portable Ice Maker for Counter top:
The Ivation Portable Ice Maker employs the Modern Compressor Refrigeration Technology to make ice cubes efficiently. It comes with a sleek design, complemented by the device layout. Because it allows you to produce two different sizes of ice cubes, you’ll b sure to meet all the ice cubes demands.
When the ice tray gets full, you can easily remove it from the unit and transfer it to your freezer to create room for more ice production.
Now, this unit measures 9.5 x 12.9 x 14.1 inches, plus it’s incredibly lightweight, making it one of the most portable ice makers on the market this year.
The large transparent window at the top allows you to witness the ice generation process as well as check the levels of produced ice.
When it comes to operating this machine, things get much easier with the easy-push touch buttons with intuitive buttons.
As a human being, you’re likely to forget some things when running this machine, which explains why it comes with lighted alerts for smooth functioning.
- Modern Compressor Refrigeration Technology ensures efficient ice production
- Sleek, performance-oriented design
- Two different cube sizes to choose from
- Removable tray means easy ice transfer
- Large see-through window for easy process monitoring/ice level checking
- Easy-push buttons with intuitive icons
- Maximum Ice Capacity Reached/Low Water Level Indicators
12. RCA RIC102-Silver Compact Ice Maker:
Tired and sick of waiting for hours for your freezer to freeze a tray of ice cubes? If yes, you need to invest in the RCA RIC102-Silver Compact Ice Maker without a second thought. With a brushed silver finish, this device will so much match almost any appliance in your kitchen.
The fact that its super-compact ensures it doesn’t occupy much room on your countertop.
The RCA products rank among the most efficient and this ice maker couldn’t get any better. It’s so effective that it supplies you with up to 26 pounds of ice in a day, ensuring you never run out of ice for your party or your own use.
The appliance is pretty much quicker and starts making ice after only 6 minutes of turning it on. Depending on what you wish to use your ice for, it allows you to produce two different ice sizes- small and large.
Using this ice maker does not require you to take any lessons. Whenever you need ice cubes, just fill its reservoir with water, turn it on, and within 6 minutes you’ll get your ice cubes.
The unit can store up to 1.5lbs of ice at a time and alters you when the ice tray becomes full so that you can empty to your freezer- or use it to make a drink. The unit melts all the extra ice and refreezes it the next time you turn it on.
- Compact ice maker unit in silver
- Produces ice faster- in as little as six minutes
- Offers you two choices of ice cubes
- Produces up to 26lbs of ice a day
- Stores around 1.5lbs of ice at a time
- 2.3 Quart Reservoir with Electronic LED controls
13. Ivation IVA-ICEM25WH Portable Ice Maker:
When it comes to looks, the Ivation IVA-ICEM25WH Portable Ice Maker is probably one of the cutest models out there. But that doesn’t mean it’s not performance-oriented. It’s a highly reliable unit with a nice compact body packed with a list of remarkable features that makes it worth every penny.
At the front of the ice maker, you’ll find the bright, easy to read LED display that helps you understand about the working of the machine and allow you to interact with it easily.
As a pretty lightweight and easy to carry device, you never have to mind about its portability factor. Plus the body bears a durable body that makes it a sturdy ice maker that will help meet your ice needs for years and years.
The LCD is surrounded by intuitive, push-touch buttons which let you operate the machine easily, as well as monitoring the water and ice levels. The top lid features a large see-through window through which you can keep an eye on the ice being produced.
The ice maker has a standard ice production of up to 26 pounds a day. A decent water tank comes handy to keep the ice generation busy. You can pick the size of ice you want to produce from the three different sizes available. The removable ice bucket allows you to transfer your ice to your freezer easily.
- Modern Compressor Refrigeration Technology translates to efficient ice production
- Sleek, performance-oriented design
- Select from three different cube sizes
- Removable tray eases the transfer of ice
- A large see-through window lets you monitor ice production and check the output level easily
- Bright LED display, intuitive icons, Easy-push Touch buttons, and Auto-On/Off Timers for easy machine control
- Low water level and maximum ice capacity reached alerts gives you some peace of mind
14. Ivation 48-Pound Daily Capacity Counter Top Ice Maker:
And now get ready for the larger-capacity ice maker in our list of best portable ice maker reviews. The Ivation 48-Pound Daily Capacity Counter Top Ice Maker produces a whopping 48 pounds of ice in just 24 hours (equivalent to a day)!
The easy to use, highly efficient ice maker utilizes the latest technologies to offer you the best ice making experience. The advanced compressor technology in its sleek, compact body enables this machine to produce ice cubes faster and store them in a high-capacity (2.6 pounds) ice bucket until you need them.
On the top part of this ice maker, you’ll discover a large see-through window through which you can monitor the ice being generated and tell the production level easily. Using this machine become straightforward and fun with the easy-touch buttons that facilitate easy digital operation.
Besides, it presents you with LED indicators that light up, alerting you to whenever the water levels go down, or the storage compartment becomes full. The removable storage compartment makes taking out ice by the bin loads more hygienic and easier.
The machine also comes with a high-capacity water reservoir- up to 4.7 quarts for holding sufficient water for producing 48 pounds a day. The unit can deliver up to 12 ice cubes between 8-15 minutes. With its water recycling system, all the unused turn into water for use in the next ice making session. This prevents water wastage.
- Convenient, compact, and incredibly fast-perfect for small kitchens, RVs, dorms, etc
- Sleek, performance-oriented design
- Three different ice cube sizes to pick from
- Removable tray ensures easy ice transfer
- Large see-through window for monitoring ice assembly process
- Easy-push touch buttons for digital controls
- Super-high capacity ice production: 48 pounds of fresh ice a day
- Low Water Level and Maximum Ice Capacity Reached alerts
15. Whynter IMC-490SS Portable Ice Maker:
And now the Largest-Capacity portable ice maker on our list…
The Whynter IMC-490SS Portable Ice Maker fits the definition of a countertop unit that’s incredibly compact and fits in majority of tight spaces. However, it has more power than the typical counter top model. At 49 pounds of fresh ice a day, it ranks among the best ice maker for home. Clearly, that’s lots of ice for folks who requires large quantities of ice but don’t have enough room for a proper ice maker.
This machine comes with a stainless steel body that gives it a pristine finish, which also makes it more durable. Although this machine is slightly bigger than the typical countertop ice maker, it’s still portable enough to fit most of the places you place it in.
It’s capable of producing up to 49 pounds of ice in just 25 hours. Moreover, it features a generous 5L water reservoir. The average ice cubes production period is 10 minutes, and you can pick from three different ice cube sizes.
With a storage bin of up to 2.7lbs, you can store all the ice you produce conveniently if you don’t wish to use all of it at once. All its controls are located on the front part, around an LCD panel, to give you details on the working of the unit. If portability and power are your primary considerations in an ice maker, this is the model for you.
- Delivers up to 49 pounds of ice per day
- Three different ice cubes to pick from
- Produces ice in under 10 minutes
- Super-high water reservoir capacity: 5.0L
- Super-high storage bin capacity: 2.7lbs
16. NewAir AI-100SS 28-Pound Portable Ice Maker:
How about a remarkably high capacity yet highly portable ice maker? You’ll definitely like such a model. And that’s what the NewAir AI-100SS 28-Pound Portable Ice Maker is made of. It comes with a minimalist looking, stainless steel body that lets it fit in the smallest spaces available. Its durable frame qualifies it for use in boats or RV for constant fresh ice supply.
Operating this machine is incredibly comfortable. It comes with Led control panel that lets you make various settings, including the three ice cube production configurations- small, medium, and large.
With the machine generating up to 28 pounds of ice a day, trust me, you’ll never run out of ice. And whenever you produce too much ice that you can’t consume all of it, no need to worry. It comes with a 2lb ice bin that will hold your ice for as long as you wish.
Like most other portable ice makers, the device requires no installation. Just add water to its reservoir and plug it into a standard electric source.
Other features that make this machine a top-notch model include the see-through window on the top lid that allows you check how much is ready for use.
It has an overall superb design that balances appearance, reliability, and practicality to give you a compact, durable, high-performance ice maker.
- Convenient, compact design ideal for use in compact spaces e.g. small kitchen, RV, boat
- Generates 28 pounds of ice a day
- Easy to use LED control panel
- Three ice size settings
- No installations needed
17. EdgeStar Portable Ice Maker:
If you’re on a tight budget but still want to enjoy using a sophisticated ice maker, the EdgeStar Portable Ice Maker will make an excellent choice for you.
The machine can produce sufficient ice quantity not only for your home consumption but also for a small get together in about 10 minutes only. For the best results, the manufacturer advice you to use the bottle or clean tap water. Adding to the sophistication and sleekness of this unit is the soft touch control.
As all the previous users agreed, this machine is completely easy to understand and use. And that’s because it comes with a clearly labeled button for every single action you’d require.
Being a compact unit, you’ll be able to use in your home or pub countertop easily. Besides, its lightweight design enables you to move it around easily. When it comes to producing ice, the machine does not disappoint. It can produce up to 28 ice pounds a day, more than enough for everyone!
Let’s say you’re holding a party and you’ll be using different kids if glasses. This means you’ll need to produce different sizes of ice cubes.
Luckily, the unit allows you to create three different sizes of ice cubes to meet your needs (and make your party fun). The ice bins larger capacity- 2½ pounds- allows you to hold as much as ice as possible. This is particularly helpful when you don’t intend to consume all the produce ice at a go.
One more thing: The EdgeStar Portable Ice Maker comes in different colors: red, stainless steel, and titanium to suit your taste.
- Starts producing ice in around 10 minutes
- Soft touch controls
- No drain required
- Perfect size for countertops
- Lightweight and incredibly easy to transport
- Delivers up to 28 pounds of ice a day
- Three different cube sizes to pick from
- Ice bin can store up to 2 ½ pounds of ice
- Perfect for RVs, boats, cabins, etc.
18. EdgeStar IP210TI Titanium Portable Ice Maker Review:
Straight from Edgestar, a highly reputable brand, one of the greatest assets of the IP210TI Titanium Portable Ice Maker is its portability. The unit measures 14 1/2" H x 11 3/4" W x 14 1/2" D.
Meaning you can easily move it from place to another without any struggles. If you have an outdoor party, you can easily carry it outside to provide ice for all your guests and bring it back when you’re done with ice production.
The ice maker also impresses when it comes to performance. Firstly, it requires no specialized drainage: quite impressive given that most people worry about water spills when buying a new ice maker. Moving on to speed, the ice maker generates ice cubes in only 10 minutes.
This makes it a convenient machine that supplies you with ice the instant you need it. With the ability to produce up to 28 pounds of ice a day, this ice maker will give you an endless ice supply.
The machine provides bullet-shaped ice cubes- this is just the right shape for filling up your glass. What’s more, it allows you to customize your ice cubes further by choosing from three ice cube sizes- small, medium, and large.
If you don’t intend to consume all the ice you produce with this machine, you don’t need to worry as it’s capable of storing up to two and a half pounds of generated ice. Its compact size means you can use it in your kitchen, bar, and even the RV.
- Portable unit; no drain required
- Produced ice in as little as 10 minutes
- Produces up to 28 pounds of bullet
- Shaped ice cubes a day
- Stores 2.5 lbs of ice at a time
- Soft touch control panel
- 3 different ice cubes
19. Igloo Compact Ice Maker:
If you’re in search of a portable ice maker to help keep your drinks fresh, cold and tasty, the Igloo Compact Ice Maker will suit your needs. It sleek, compact design with stainless steel finish makes it a perfect complement to any room or office you set it in.
Using this machine is a breeze. Just pour water, plug it in, and select your preferred ice cube size from the two settings.
In mere minutes, you’ll get enough ice to beat the heat. Additionally, you don’t need to make any installations to start using the machine. Just place it anywhere near an electric outlet, and that’s all.
The appliance is not only compact but also light enough to transport anywhere as long as you’ve got a standard electrical outlet.
The machine can produce up to 26 lbs of fresh ice in a single day to cater for your ice needs. And if you think the ice produced is too much for you, an ice bucket with 1.5lb capacity comes handy to hold the excess ice. The highly intuitive digital control panel facilitates easy operation of the device.
- Can produce 26lbs a day
- Digital control panel for easy operation
- Stainless steel exterior ensures a sleek look
- Iice bin has a 1.5lbs storage capacity for your convenience
20. Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb Portable Ice Maker Review:
Being one of the top-sellers on the market right now, the Magic Chef MCIM22TS 27lb Ice Maker has so much to offer you. It’s an incredibly portable unit that comes in an eye-grabbing stainless steel finish that perfectly matches your modern kitchen interior design, boat or RV. This unit can give you 27 pounds of ice every new day.
This clearly represents the manufacturer’s aim to give you a top-performance ice maker without sacrificing the compactness and portability aspects.
With this unit, you can easily produce three different sizes of ice cubes- small, medium, and large. This will prove useful when hosting a party and you’re faced with the demand for larger ice cubes for whiskey and vodka lovers or smaller ice cubes for cocktail fans. At such a high daily ice production of 27 lbs, this unit is ideal for meeting the ice needs for any occasion, including the modern parties.
Adding to its fantastic performance is the fact that it can produce up to 9 pieces with an extremely short period of 7 minutes only.
I would be biased if I didn’t tell you that this unit features an exterior drain and see-through window that lets you observe the ice making process in case you think something isn’t working right.
The unit requires no installations; the only thing you’ve to do is plug in the power source and start enjoying freshly generated ice in under 10 minutes. Despite its powerful performance capabilities, this unit is really compact (measures 4.5” L x 11.7” W x 14.9” H) and lightweight (weighs 26 pounds only)
- Portable mini ice maker with stainless steel finish
- Delivers up to 27lbs a day
- Make ice faster; in less than 7 hours
- Choice of 3 different ice cube sizes
- Makes around nine ice cubes per cycle
- Exterior drain
- See-through window
How To Setup and Maintain The Best Portable Ice Maker
The following infographic shows you the right way to setup and main your portable ice maker:
How to Take Care Of Your Portable Ice Maker Properly?
All appliances need proper care and maintenance if you want to use them for a long, stress-free duration.
So we are going to investigate the precautions and measures you should take to ensure your ice maker’s durability…
Read the manual!
An obvious point, but so many people ignore it. User manuals contain a wealth of information about exactly how to use and maintain your appliance.
Some are so abundant in tips they can go on for as much as 40 pages!
Position and install it properly
You have just brought your new ice maker home. What’s the first thing you should do? Well, yes, read the manual, of course. And the first thing your user manual will tell you is that you must properly install and position the ice maker before use.
The manual will also give you specific instructions on how to do this. The instructions will depend on the model, the manufacturer, and the type of ice maker.
This precaution will save you from injury by fire or electrical shock, and avert potential damage to your ice maker.
Remember to regularly change the filter
The filter is an important part of the ice maker. That’s because the water you use could have a bad taste, odor, or chlorine. By filtering out these undesirable qualities, the filter ensures the ice is clean, healthy and good-tasting.
It also prevents the inside of the ice maker from getting slimy too fast. Thirdly, it reduces the amount of scale produced when the water turns to ice, making it easier to clean out the bin.
However, you should always change your filter after using it for a while if you want best results. That’s because it eventually gets clogged with slime and gunk. The best time to replace your filter is after six months of use.
But that depends on how much you use your ice maker. Also, note that after the water filter expires and loses its effectiveness in reducing contaminants, it may begin to grow bacteria and mold, so changing it is also a matter of health.
Check the temperature
One of the key reasons why a portable ice maker may fail to work properly is being set at the wrong temperature. It cannot produce good quality ice if the temperature is above ten degrees Fahrenheit. The right temperature is zero to fifty degrees Fahrenheit.
So if you note that the ice is a bit wet, it might be because your settings are too hot to make ice! So check the thermostat and turn it lower to adjust it to the right ice making temperature.
Don’t store anything that isn’t ice in the ice maker
This is to prevent clogging. For instance: if you put beer bottles into the ice storage bin; when the labels peel off, they may plug up the drain. Plus, they are unsanitary and may affect the purity of the ice.
A big part of ice maker maintenance is cleaning and how you do it. Regular cleaning ensures the appliance’s efficiency, good performance, and long life.
Ice maker maintenance involves keeping four important parts of it clean:
- The exterior.
- The condenser.
- The interior.
- The ice-making system.
Now, let’s look at the cleaning process, and its dos and don’ts:
Disconnect the power
It goes without saying that before you begin cleaning the ice maker, you should disconnect the unit’s power line and shut off its water line. This will protect you from potential injury and the ice maker from possible damage.
Cleaning the exterior:
Watch the stainless steel surfaces!
If your ice maker’s exterior is made of stainless steel, you should take precautions against possible corrosion. So don’t use abrasive tools when cleaning. That rules out steel wool, wire brushes, and abrasive sponge pads or scrapers.
Abrasive tools can break through the “passivation” layer (a thin layer found on the surface of stainless steel which is often the only thing keeping it from rusting).
Avoid cleaners that contain chlorine or chlorides
Chlorine is dangerous for stainless steel. You see, chlorine is a powerful oxidizing agent. It enables the oxidation of gasses dissolved in water. For instance, dissolved sulfur dioxide would react with chlorine to form sulfuric acid and hydrochloric acid.
That gives it an enormous capacity to corrode stainless steel. So don’t use chlorine bleach to clean your ice maker’s exterior.
Clean the stainless steel surface thoroughly every week
Frequent and regular cleaning prevents accumulation of stubborn stains which become hard to clean if you don’t clean the ice maker’s exterior for a long time. Ensure you use a nonabrasive cloth or sponge to wipe away any water stains on the stainless steel surface to prevent corrosion.
Clean the condenser
If the condenser is dirty or gets clogged, air will not flow properly which will reduce the appliance’s capacity to make ice. Secondly, it will cause a rise in temperatures, which could result in failure of some of the ice maker’s components.
Consult your user manual for more detailed instructions specific to your ice maker on what steps you should follow to properly clean the condenser. Note: don’t touch the condenser fins because they can easily get damaged.
Clean the interior
Once in a while, sanitize the ice storage bin. And if your ice maker is new, ensure you clean the bin before beginning to use the appliance.
The best time to sanitize the storage bin is after you clean the ice making system, when the bin is empty. Use a clean cloth dipped in a sanitizing solution made of household bleach and hot water to wipe down the interior.
After that, rinse with clean water. Consult your user manual for clear instructions on how to do this (for instance, what quantities of chlorine and hot water you should use). Note: wash the ice scoop regularly.
Final note: don’t clean the interior using solvent-based cleaning agents or abrasives as they may transmit taste to the ice produced or damage/discolor the ice maker’s interior.
Clean the ice making system
After a while, minerals extracted from the water during the freezing cycle begin to form a hard scaly deposit in the water system.
Regular cleaning of the system ensures this accumulated mineral scale is removed. It’s not set in stone how often you should clean it, though. It all depends on how hard the water you use is. Hard water of 4-5 grains/liter necessitates a cleaning every 3-6 months.
Common Ice Maker Troubleshooting
Ever had trouble with your ice maker? For instance, it won’t make ice, or it suddenly starts producing less than its normal output? We are going to look at some of these common ice maker problems and how to troubleshoot them. If you use commercial ice machine, this guideline also for you.
A tip before we begin: don’t be quick to diagnose the problem because it could have a variety of causes. Instead, first inspect the entire ice making system. That will help you pinpoint the source of the problem.
Common ice maker problems and their solutions:
1. The ice maker has stopped working
This is where the ice maker is no longer making any ice. More than one scenario could be the cause of this, and you have to inspect the machine to find out which it is.
- Check to see if the ice maker is unplugged. No problem there – simply plug it back in.
- Perhaps the fuse has blown. The only solution is to replace the fuse. And if it blows a second time, you should call in an electrician to check if the ice maker has a short circuit.
- Check to see if the power switch is off – simply turn it back ON.
- Perhaps the ice cube full sensor is damaged. If that is the case, you should replace it.
- Is the ice storage bin packed with ice to excess? If so, give it some breathing room by removing some of the excess ice. Also, ensure that the ice-full sensor is free of ice.
2. Ice production has reduced
The machine could still be making ice, but you notice that the bin never fills up. This is a problem and can have more than one cause.
- Examine the condenser. If it is dirty, that could be the problem. Clean it.
- Examine the bin drain. If it is restricted in any way, clean it out. As an extra precaution, check the installation.
- It could be that the flow of air to the ice maker is somehow being obstructed. In that case, you should check the installation.
- The hot gas valve could be the problem. If that’s the case, replace it.
- If the sprinkler is clogged, it could cause a reduction in ice produced. Clean it thoroughly. And check your user’s manual for the right procedure of doing this.
- Check to see if the nozzle is blocked by the ice slideway, preventing it from spraying effectively. Adjust the ice slideway to stop it from blocking the nozzle.
- If the quality of the water you are using is hard the water lines will block, which causes the pressure of the sprinkler’s spraying to reduce. Use a water filter to take care of that.
- It’s also advisable to change the filter if you have been using it for more than six months.
3. The water does not feed in after your ice maker starts
- If the water supply tap is turned off, turn it on.
- If the water supply pressure is low, adjust it to the appropriate range.
- Check the water inlet valve for damage, and replace it if it’s the cause of the problem.
- Check to see if the water supply pipe is properly connected, and reconnect it.
4. Water is leaking from the appliance
Three things could be leaking: the water supply connection, the nut of the water drain hole, or the drainpipe connection. To solve this problem, tighten both the fitting and the nut.
5. When there is frequent occurrence of scales inside the ice maker
If you find that there are hard, scaly deposits in the water system, this could mean that the water is too hard. The minerals in the water are extracted during the freezing cycle and form the scale deposits.
You can solve this problem using a water-softening device installed in front of the water inlet valve.
6. When the ice cubes are not completely formed, and are white at the bottom
- This could be caused by a lack of water in the water bin. Check to see if the water supply-filter is restricted. Or if the water valve is restricted. Check also, whether there is a water leak at the water bin.
- Check to see if the sprinkler is blocked. If so, clean it.
7. The ice maker’s water lines are clogged
This is one of the most prevalent problems users report with their ice makers. This is usually caused by the hardness of water, where the minerals dissolved in it accumulate into scaly deposits and clog the water lines. Use a solution of equal parts vinegar and water to clean out the water reservoir.
After that, run the machine through an ice making cycle to get rid of the ice. Next, fill with clean water, and run it through a second ice making cycle to ensure all the vinegar residue is completely rinsed out. You can repeat the rinsing procedure if there are still lingering traces of vinegar in the interior of the machine.
8. The machine suddenly stops while in the middle of an ice making cycle
This could be caused by a variety of reasons:
- If the electricity is off. In which case, you should reconnect the power supply lines.
- If there is a problem with your fuse. In that case, you should replace it.
- If the ventilation louvers are covered, remove whatever is causing the obstruction.
9. The cubes are too big
If you find that the ice cubes formed are bigger than their normal size, this could mean that the ambient temperature and the water temperatures are too low. In that case, you should simply adjust the temperature to appropriate levels.
Some things you should do to troubleshoot your ice maker:
- Inspect the ice maker’s plug-ins and connections.
- Always note the water level.
- Examine the water sensor.
- Ensure you unplug the power cord before you start troubleshooting the ice maker.
- Remove excess ice to ensure it does not overflow.
For more tips on how to troubleshoot your ice maker, consult your user manual. It probably has important tips specific to your particular unit. You can watch the following video too:
How To Clean Your Ice Maker With Vinegar In 9 Simple Steps
As we’ve seen earlier, cleaning your portable ice maker is an essential part of ensuring your device continues pumping great ice cubes at all times.
In this section, I’ll show you how to achieve a super-clean portable ice maker using vinegar…
- Firstly, unplug your appliance and fully empty it. This step is crucial as it makes the entire cleaning process is safe and manageable.
- Next, remove the ice bin and place it on a clean surface. Separating the ice tray from your ice maker is a fairly simple process, but in case you encounter any challenges while doing this, don’t hesitate to look up the user guide.
- Dip a soft, clean piece of cloth in vinegar and use it wipe off the device’s interior parts- especially the target parts where build-up is likely to occur.
The vinegar does a great job at easing the build-up removal.
NOTE: As you know, these build-ups usually consists of impurities, including calcium deposits from hard water and are notorious for affecting the various parts of the ice maker, significantly affecting its performance.
- Now clean the ice tray using vinegar, the same you’ve cleaned the interior section. Scrubbing the bin with vinegar helps eliminate calcium deposits as well as other unwanted rings that might affect the quality of the ice cubes generated.
- Your machine is now clean, and you can put the ice tray back to its position and plug the machine back to the outlet.
- You’ll also need to clean the running cycle. So turn on your machine, add some water (you can add lemon water in place of water), and then add a few cups of vinegar to the unit. This is basically the same method you apply when cleaning your coffee machine.
Run several cycles to ensure you remove all the buildups present, as well as excess vinegar. You just don’t want to leave anything behind that might taint the ice cubes you create with your ice maker.
Important Note: if your unit is new, I also recommend you to run the cleaning cycle. Why? You might wonder…Doing this helps get rid of the plastic taste left during the manufacturing process as well as remove all the dirt left in the unit during the packaging process.
- When you’re done, press the off button and empty all the water in your portable ice maker reservoir. Then add clean water, plug the machine in again, and run a normal cycle. If the water remains clear after running the cycle, it means that you’ve removed all the excess vinegar and other debris that might otherwise affect the quality and taste of your ice cubes.
- Eventually, use a soft piece of cloth again to wipe down the exterior of your machine. You don’t necessarily need to use vinegar to clean the outer part; just some water and a mild soap are enough to remove all the dust or dirt hanging on your machine.
- That’s it: Now your portable ice maker is super-clean and ready to make quality ice cubes again!
NOTE: It’s always advisable that you thoroughly rinse your ice maker after cleaning it using the above process. At times, you might even consider throwing away the first ice cubes batch produced right after you’ve cleaned your device.
So, these are the 20 best portable ice makers on the market today. And as you’ve just discovered, they’ll offer you lots of benefits. They do not require any form of installation, and you can just fit them on your counter. They’re space efficient.
Besides, most of them come with beautiful finishes that match your modern and contemporary kitchen designs.
The above best portable ice maker reviews will offer you a wide range of products that are ruling the market today. The decision of the right portable ice maker that will meet your ice production needs, budget, looks, power, reliability, etc lies in your hands
And when you’ve found that suitable product, go on and place an order and ready yourself to start enjoying the multiple health benefits of ice, including a cool, refreshing drinks without much hassle.